What happens when effective communication lacks
In my daily life as a freelance secretary, I have the privilege to see the heart of many companies. Mostly beautiful companies, selling great products or services. I also see that things could run much more smoothly when people would communicate in a more effective way. This would prevent lack of understanding, delay, causing dissatisfied customers or colleagues, loss of orders, and other negative feelings.
Tips for effective communication
With the following tips for more effective communication, you will be able to work with more pleasure and be more successful:
- Communicate timely
Depending on the urgency of the message, take care that you communicate timely. Try to put yourself in the shoes of the people involved and try to image what they would like most. A few examples:
- Reply to questions or requests quickly, the same day or in a few days. If you don’t have the answer now, reply anyway and indicate when you will be able to react concerning content, or explain what is needed before you can give the answer.
- When a new colleague starts in your company, the colleagues need to be informed timely.
- Send the meeting documents well in time before the next meeting, and not the day before.
- When your company gets into the newspapers for a negative reason, take care that you communicate the news to your employees first, or at least, as soon as possible.
- Don’t delay bad news or failure
Success is something which most people want to share immediately. However, when you make a mistake, it is even more important to communicate this as soon as possible with the person(s) involved. Although it seems to be hard to admit a mistake, you will see that apologies are rarely not accepted. The sooner you report your mistakes, the sooner these can be restored, and the damage be limited. So, never bury your head in the sand and take action!
- Respectful culture
The above works best when the organization you work offers an open, respectful culture in which people can talk each other to account. Learning from each others mistakes can enhance the job satisfaction and make a business more successful.
Effective communication means
Each message requires a different approach. Who needs to be informed? One person, colleagues, clients, stakeholders, or the rest of the country or the world? And how do you address them? At least be clear and respectful in the way you communicate.
Consider carefully which means you use and take care that the correct house style is used.
- Very personal messages, such as dismissal, can be communicated best in a personal talk, followed by a written letter. Also other personal serious matters can be discussed in person.
- E-mail can be used for most messages or announcements for a person or a group of people.
- Sometimes a phone call can work more effective when you need to explain something, or when you have an urgent question.
- Intra-net is a handy platform for internal messages and Internet for external communication.
- Press releases are handy for external communication.
- Social media like twitter can be used for general external communication.
Depending on the situation a combination of different communication means works more effective.
Take care that first important news is communicated to the people involved before you publish or communicate the news externally.
With the above tips, you’ll see that effective communication makes your organization more successful and gives you and the people around you more satisfaction.